[Pdns-users] Automatically delete zones that are deleted on Supermaster

Peter van Dijk peter.van.dijk at netherlabs.nl
Mon Oct 29 08:35:42 UTC 2012

Hello,

On Oct 28, 2012, at 23:13 , a b wrote:

> > > How to get PowerDNS to delete zones that are deleted on a Supermasters?
> >
> > I don't think that is possible: you'll have to delete zones manually
> > from your PowerDNS `domains` and `records` tables.
>
> If I have a large PowerDNS deployment, let us say one supermaster and ten superslaves, I'm expected to connect to each and every one and manually delete the rows from "domains" and "records"?
>
> I have to try it out, but if that is indeed the case, it is impractical.
>
> If I open a ticket for this, what is the chance it would get implemented? "Supermaster" functionality is one of the main reasons we ditched BIND for pdns in the first place...

A ticket saying 'please implement cleanup of superslave domains' will get
closed.

A ticket saying "here's a great idea to cleanup superslave domains, and here's
why this idea is safe" might stand a chance, assuming the idea is not something
that could easily be done outside of PowerDNS.

Superslave setups not deleting domains is considered a feature by some; that's
why we need to tread lightly here.

Depending on your needs, you could write a script to do the cleanup yourself.
The last_check column is a decent indicator of master uptime, in the current
implementation. Note that THIS MIGHT CHANGE.

Kind regards,
--
Peter van Dijk
Netherlabs Computer Consulting BV - http://www.netherlabs.nl/