[Pdns-users] TXT record with embedded tab causes thread to die.

bert hubert bert.hubert at netherlabs.nl
Tue Mar 27 21:47:28 UTC 2012

On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 05:29:03PM -0400, Christopher Pruden wrote:
> Thanks very much, I've downloaded and installed the
> pdns-static-3.1rc1.20120327.2539-1.x86_64.rpm package, and it looks like
> that took care of it.

Great!

> I've got one record remaining that made it into PowerDNS via AXFR, but
> isn't served by PowerDNS.  It's got (I assume) a UTF8 character in it, so
> I'm not worried about it working, but it might be good to make sure
> records like it don't get in via AXFR.  BIND was the master for the AXFR.

Which PowerDNS version did the AXFR? 3.0 and 3.1 are supposed to do proper
escaping, making sure you don't end up with UTF-8 in your database.

> bounce  IN TXT  "v=spf1 include:listrak.com –all"
> @       IN TXT  "spf2.0/pra include:listrak.com ~all"
>

> And here's where the wide character shows up:
>
> grep TXT  /var/named/chroot/var/named/dinnerwareoutletmall.com.db | od -c

It should have ended up in our database as something like:
IN TXT  "v=spf1 include:listrak.com \342\200\233all"

(not exactly, I think it would be decimal and not octal).

> Thanks very much for your fast response on this, it's very appreciated.

Sure!

--
PowerDNS Website: http://www.powerdns.com/
PowerDNS Community Website: http://wiki.powerdns.com/