[Pdns-users] TXT record with embedded tab causes thread to die.

Christopher Pruden cdpruden at liquidweb.com
Tue Mar 27 21:29:03 UTC 2012

On Mar 27, 2012, at 4:53 PM, bert hubert wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 02:58:30PM -0400, Christopher Pruden wrote:
>> Hi Ruben,
>>
>> Is the record that you show with a tab, or the '>' sign?  The issue I'm running into is with an embedded tab, it got mixed up a bit in the email.
>
> Hi Christopher,
>
> Together with Ruben we've diagnosed & reproduced this bug, leading to the
> solution in http://wiki.powerdns.com/trac/changeset/2539
>
> I have also made new builds for 2359 for 64 bit platforms and source on
> http://powerdnssec.org/downloads/ and
> http://powerdnssec.org/downloads/packages

Thanks very much, I've downloaded and installed the pdns-static-3.1rc1.20120327.2539-1.x86_64.rpm package, and it looks like that took care of it.

I've got one record remaining that made it into PowerDNS via AXFR, but isn't served by PowerDNS.  It's got (I assume) a UTF8 character in it, so I'm not worried about it working, but it might be good to make sure records like it don't get in via AXFR.  BIND was the master for the AXFR.

It's:

 zone_id |              name               | type |                 rdata
---------+---------------------------------+------+---------------------------------------
  302461 | bounce.example.com | TXT  | "v=spf1 include:listexamplecom –all"

PowerDNS reports:

Mar 27 17:26:02 authdns1 pdns[5699]: TCP Connection Thread died because of STL error: Unable to parse DNS TXT '"v=spf1 include:listexample.com –all"'

and the zone file looks like:

bounce  IN TXT  "v=spf1 include:listrak.com –all"
@       IN TXT  "spf2.0/pra include:listrak.com ~all"

And here's where the wide character shows up:

grep TXT  /var/named/chroot/var/named/dinnerwareoutletmall.com.db | od -c
0000000   b   o   u   n   c   e  \t   I   N       T   X   T  \t   "   v
0000020   =   s   p   f   1       i   n   c   l   u   d   e   :   l   i
0000040   s   t   r   a   k   .   c   o   m     342 200 223   a   l   l
0000060   "  \n   @  \t   I   N       T   X   T  \t   "   s   p   f   2
0000100   .   0   /   p   r   a       i   n   c   l   u   d   e   :   l
0000120   i   s   t   r   a   k   .   c   o   m       ~   a   l   l   "
0000140  \n
0000141

Thanks very much for your fast response on this, it's very appreciated.