[Pdns-users] Running pdns alongside pdns-recursor on the same host

a b tripivceta at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 8 13:53:27 UTC 2012

> However, coming from BIND, my mind is transfixed with the single daemon
> which can do both authoritative and recursion (selectively). Does it
> mean that with pdns, I have to run at minimum THREE separate servers -
> one master, one slave, one recursor?

That depends. In BIND, the recursor and the authoritative  server
are inseparable. In pdns, they are separate.

Will you be running your DNS servers in the DMZ? Then install and
configure them without a recursor.

If you will be running your DNS servers on the  local  area  net-
work,  then  configure  them  each  with their own pdns_recursor.
This, while not strictly necessary,  helps  with  automation  and
deployment.  Otherwise, both the master and the slave DNS servers
on the local area network could share one recursor.