[Pdns-users] pdns & nproxy

Fred Wittekind rom at twister.dyndns.org
Mon Jul 9 00:31:33 UTC 2012

On 07/05/2012 06:00 PM, bert hubert wrote:
> On Jul 5, 2012, at 8:18 PM, Fred Wittekind wrote:
>> Then I got this error when trying to start nproxy (IP address censored):
>> nproxy: Fatal: Binding socket for incoming packets to 'a.b.c.d:53': Address already in use
>>
>> Which of course makes sense after seeing it, pdns is already binding to the same IP/port.
>>
>> So, my question is this...  Can the functionality of nproxy be rolled into pdns so that pdns itself can forward the notify to another instance of pdns (on the master server), or can nproxy and pdns be made to work on the same IP.   I looked into trying to see if I could get iptables to split out the notify messages to a different destination IP so I could put nproxy on a different IP than pdns, but, I didn't figure out a good (reliable) way to do this.
> Interesting. The original use case was where the outside world would never be talking to that master, or at least not taking the initiative to do so. So the outside world would think the nproxy IP address was the slave, and nproxy would then relay that to the real slave, which would reach out over TCP to make it happen. I think some NAT trick is used to make sure that the outgoing traffic appears as the address that was notified.
>
> If you want to have this integrated, what exactly is your use case? Better protection for the hidden master?
>
> Please don't get me wrong, I get the impression what you want is reasonable, but I can't quite wrap my head around your exact requirements.
>
> Please let us know!
>
> 	Bert
> 	PowerDNS

What we are trying to do is have what we call NSMS, which is a server
that sits behind our firewall, and is the MySQL master db server.  Then
we are going to have 3 name servers on public IPs that will be MySQL
slaves of NSMS (what PDNS calls native replication I think).  We would
then have some type of web interface managing the DNS records on NSMS.
This setup covers the need of 90+% of the domains we host.

We have a small handful of domains that we slave from one of our
client's servers.  The 3 name servers we would have on public IPs would
be unable to write to there local MySQL instance, because they are MySQL
slaves, so we would need that notify to be passed on to NSMS, which our
3 public name servers can talk to, but our client server's can't.

Right now, the client's are configured to send the notify to one of our
existing 3 public name servers, and it has a script on it that
intercepts that notify and passes it on to the existing NSMS.  I would
prefer to avoid solutions that require the clients to change there
configuration.  Our new PDNS based servers are intended to take over the
IP addresses of our old name servers.

Looks like it would be pretty easy to re-write one of the SQL queries so
that the 3 public name servers get back "native" as the replication mode
for all domains including the ones that NSMS actually slaves off a
client server.  The trick I think is just going to be getting the notify
forwarded to NSMS (since it's the only server with MySQL write access).

Fred Wittekind