[Pdns-users] throwing AhuException from module not working properly?

Peter van Dijk peter.van.dijk at netherlabs.nl
Fri Jul 6 05:34:06 UTC 2012

Hello David,

On Jul 5, 2012, at 4:55 , David Hawthorne wrote:

> docs from dnsbackend.hh:
>
>    More serious errors, which may indicate that the database connection is hosed, or a configuration error occurred, should
>    lead to the throwing of an AhuException. This exception will fall straight through the UeberBackend and the PacketHandler
>    and be caught by the Distributor, which will delete your DNSBackend instance and spawn a new one.
>
> Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated!

This behaviour changed between 2.9.22 and 3.0 (in SVN revision 2100), and the docs have not been updated to reflect that. It looks like there currently is no way to force PowerDNS to recycle a backend, and that's an oversight.

If you could share somewhat more about your reasons for wanting to cycle, perhaps we can help. For now, if you could file a ticket indicating that it is impossible to cycle backends, we will make sure the next release does it right.

By the way, if you are compiling PowerDNS yourself (likely, if you are building a module), you can presumably just take the catch(AhuException) out again.

Apologies for the confusion.

Kind regards,
--
Peter van Dijk