[Pdns-users] Per Zone objects limit

Peter van Dijk peter.van.dijk at netherlabs.nl
Mon Jul 2 15:51:17 UTC 2012

Hello,

On Jul 2, 2012, at 13:52 , PARTH MONGA wrote:

> I am using PDNS in my production environment with mysql as backend ( native mysql/slave replication)
> My query is:
> What is the maximum number of objects per zone one can have in PDNS.
> What is the maximum number of sub-domains which can be created per zone wise in PDNS? For ex can i stretch upto 15000 sub domains under one parent domain/
>

> AS BIND allows for 16777216. Microsoft DNS is said to be stable to 20K objects per zone and am sure on the longest domain name possible is 255 characters with no label (peice between dots) to be longer than 63 characters per DNS spec.
>
> Please show some light on this.

PowerDNS does not have limits, but if you have a lot of zones/records, you may need to increase the size and/or TTL of the caches in PowerDNS. These are the defaults:
# cache-ttl=20
# max-cache-entries=1000000
# negquery-cache-ttl=60
# query-cache-ttl=20
# recursive-cache-ttl=10

Additionally, MySQL may limit you in some ways. For example, the default schema uses an INT for the domain ID, and mysql may limit this to something along the lines of 2 billion.

Kind regards,
--
Peter van Dijk
Netherlabs Computer Consulting BV - http://www.netherlabs.nl/