[Pdns-users] pdns_recursor & Upstart

Stefan Schmidt zaphodb at zaphods.net
Wed Dec 12 07:25:43 UTC 2012

Hallo Daniel,

On Wed, Dec 12, 2012 at 5:41 AM, Daniel L. Miller <dmiller at amfes.com> wrote:

> I've made a pair of simple Upstart scripts for controlling pdns &
> pdns-recursor.  For pdns -
>
> /etc/init/pdns.conf
> start on started mysql
> respawn
> respawn limit 10 5
> exec /usr/sbin/pdns_server --daemon=no --guardian=no
>
> This works without issues.

Good to know this works.

> /etc/init/pdns-recursor.conf
> start on started pdns
> respawn
> respawn limit 10 5
> exec /usr/sbin/pdns_recursor
>
> While occasionally this works on boot - I've found a problem more usually
> occurs.  My dmesg output:
> [   57.783902] init: pdns-recursor main process (1555) terminated with
> status 1
> [   57.783925] init: pdns-recursor main process ended, respawning
>
> I don't see why this is happening.  A manual "start pdns-recursor" works
> just fine - so the problem isn't the execution from Upstart, but there must
> be some timing/event issue I'm not seeing.  Any ideas?

It just a wild guess, but might it be that your recursor tries to listen on
a specific IP address that is not available at that time yet?
In any case i guess it would be best to also depend on started networking
or whatever that is called in upstart. PowerDNS recursor tries to prime
from the root nameservers upon startup - while i don't think it will crash
when it is unable to reach them enabling it to reach them and other
authoritative nameservers might just be considered best current practice.

best regards,

 Stefan