[Pdns-users] MSG SIZE exceeds 512 bytes

Peter van Dijk peter.van.dijk at netherlabs.nl
Wed Dec 5 15:50:32 UTC 2012

Hello Winfried,

as far as we have seen, putting EDNS in the response is not mandatory. Auth was changed recently to do it (http://wiki.powerdns.com/trac/changeset/2649) but note the commit message is wrong - we saw no improvement in interaction with BIND from it. The recursor supports EDNS0 bufsize but not, currently, the DO (DNSSEC Ok) bit - it is ignored.

We do feel that putting EDNS in the response is cleaner and we will look into changing that for Recursor 3.5.

On Dec 5, 2012, at 15:40 , abang wrote:

> that explains a lot. Does the Recursor full support EDNS0? I ask because there is no "OPT PSEUDOSECTION" in the dig output. Is this pesudosection not mandatory?
>
> Example:
>
> dig +noanswer +nostats +edns=0 @nameserver
>
> ; <<>> DiG 9.8.1-P1 <<>> +noanswer +nostats +edns=0 @nameserver
> ; (1 server found)
> ;; global options: +cmd
> ;; Got answer:
> ;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 13, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 1
>
> ;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
> ; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 512
> ;; QUESTION SECTION:
> ;.                              IN      NS

Kind regards,
--
Peter van Dijk
Netherlabs Computer Consulting BV - http://www.netherlabs.nl/