[Pdns-users] Ignoring wildcard due to TXT record

Marten Lehmann lehmann at cnm.de
Thu Dec 13 11:46:12 UTC 2012

Hello,

after our migration from PowerDNS 2.9.21 to 3.1 we just noticed another
unexpected behaviour. If a TXT record for a subdomain is defined, a
wildcard at the same subdomain level is ignored.

Example (zone=domain.com):

whatever.domain.com TXT "some text"
*.domain.com A 1.2.3.4

Querying for whatever.domain.com with the type TXT correctly returns
"some text". Querying for whatever.domain.com with the type A returned
1.2.3.4 in 2.9.21, but returns just the SOA of domain.com in 3.1.

What is the reason to introduce this behaviour? I think BIND has the
"bug", meaning that once an explicit subdomain is found, further
wildcards are ignored, even they do have a different type. I was happy
that earlier PowerDNS releases implemented it the way one would
intuitivly expect.

Kind regards
Marten