[Pdns-users] Fallback wildcard

Chad Morland cmorland at gmail.com
Mon Sep 12 16:18:31 UTC 2011

I am trying to configure my PDNS server to answer any queries that come into
my server. Basically I want to respond with a specific IP address if the
domain is not found in the database. I've enabled wildcards in my config but
it still doesn't seem to work. When I perform a lookup on a domain that I
know is not in the DB is still get a SERVFAIL response.
I am using CentOS 5.4 with these packages:
pdns-backend-mysql-2.9.22-3.el5
pdns-2.9.22-3.el5

My config currently looks like this:
setuid=pdns
setgid=pdns
launch=gmysql
gmysql-host=localhost
gmysql-user=pdns_user
gmysql-password=XXXXXX
gmysql-dbname=power_dns
disable-axfr=yes
wildcards=yes

I have this in the records table:

mysql> select * from records where name ='*.com';
| id      | domain_id | name  | type | content      | ttl  | prio |
change_date         |
| 1540729 |    138961 | *.com | A    | 208.87.34.15 |  300 |    0 |
2011-07-04 16:09:28 |

Also, is it possible to just have a '*' record so I don't need to have a
record for each TLD?