[Pdns-users] Constantly increasing memory usage

admin at cu.cc admin at cu.cc
Tue Oct 18 13:02:15 UTC 2011

Hi Guys,

Thank you for taking the time to look into the issue.
I checked "pdns_control version" command and it returns that the version
is 2.9.21

*BH*, I have attached the config file, let me know if you have any
problems accessing it, since I am not sure how this mailing list works.
Our error log file is 17K lines so I have just attached the last 1000
results since the types of errors are pretty much identical.
When I ran the command "pdns_control list" it gives me:
corrupt-packets=0,deferred-cache-inserts=20,deferred-cache-lookup=11,latency=0,packetcache-hit=3254,packetcache-miss=7039,packetcache-size=903,qsize-q=1,query-cache-hit=17260,query-cache-miss=14247,recursing-answers=0,recursing-questions=0,servfail-packets=0,tcp-answers=0,tcp-queries=0,timedout-packets=838,udp-answers=9417,udp-queries=10294,udp4-answers=9417,udp4-queries=10294,udp6-answers=0,udp6-queries=0,
Apart from the basic ones I have not made any additional settings to
pdns.conf.
I read this http://doc.powerdns.com/upgrades.html and if I have to be
honest I was not able to understand a great part of it. I started
learning server administration only just recently so I am a newbie. I
have a partner who handles that, but he will be unavailable for the next
few months for personal reasons, so I am currently trying to deal with it.

*Stefan*, you are right about this: I left max-cache-entries and
cache-ttl, negquery-cache-ttl, query-cache-ttl and recursive-cache-ttl
unconfigured (BTW I do not see max-cache-entries is that its exact name
or shall I add a new line with it in pdns.conf?). Could you please give
me an idea of what values should I put there and how would that affect
performance? There are quite a few combinations and I am not sure if I
will be able to tweak them accordingly.
"The same goes for MySQL as well of course." - Sorry I don't understand
that, could you please clarify? What do I need to set to MySQL?

*Nils*, sorry about not confirming the packages at the very beginning.
It was installed as part of another product we bought some time ago and
only when we had to move servers recently did we realize that we are
actually using PowerDNS. As mentioned above I confirm that the package
is version 2.9.21 by running the command *pdns_control version* I think
it was installed from a binary image, but again I am not 100% sure on
that either. BTW when I ran: root at cu [~]# rpm -q pdns-server it gives me
an error message:
package pdns-server is not installed. And when I ran rpm -qa pdns-server
it did not return anything.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Best regards,
Preslav