[Pdns-users] powerdns authoritative server and recursor on one system

Stefan Schmidt zaphodb at zaphods.net
Thu Oct 13 00:50:59 UTC 2011

On Wed, Oct 12, 2011 at 11:14 PM, IRCHeaven Technical Support
<tech at ircheaven.net> wrote:
> Dear Users,

Dear Mr. Support,

> I have a question
>
> I have running pdns authoritative server and recursor on one system running.
>
> The authoritative server running on port 53 and recursor on port 5300 but if

This looks about right.

> I try to do ping google.com he gives no reply on it.

It's best to test for dns responses with the tool 'dig', this gives
much valuable output when debugging.

> maby I have missed something or I forget something to define

Check if your allow-from (recursor) and allow-recursion (auth server)
settings are allowing for the queries to be answered.

For debugging you can temporarily configure the recursor with
trace=yes - it will then give heaps of output on what it's doing
including of course when it gets a recursive query from a client (such
as the pdns_server in your setup). Be sure to disable this for
production or it will definitely clog up your log files.

> is there a documentation how to set the options for this?

About all the recursor settings please see
http://doc.powerdns.com/built-in-recursor.html#recursor-settings and
about the authoritative Server settings are listed at
http://doc.powerdns.com/all-settings.html .

Please also check if you absolutely _must_ run the server in front of
the recursor as it usually is best to separate those functions. ->
http://cr.yp.to/djbdns/separation.html

 Stefan