[Pdns-users] MongoDB Backend merged Re: Mongo DB and PowerDNS part 3: Now with DNSSEC

Nick Milas nmilas at admin.noa.gr
Fri May 27 07:07:45 UTC 2011

On 27/5/2011 12:59 πμ, fredrik danerklint wrote:

> Hopefully Bert can answer better than I can on this.
>
> Have you read the documentation about writeing a backend?
> http://doc.powerdns.com/master-backends.html
>
> It says that the backend only needs to have these two function to functions as
> a master backend and that what's I have done with the MongoDB backend.

Fredrik, you are right! The documentation states as you say:
"Periodically, PDNS queries backends for domains that may have changed,
and sends out notifications for slave nameservers."

It also says: "Some backends may be able to detect zone changes, others
may choose to let the operator indicate which zones have changed and
which haven't." (http://doc.powerdns.com/master.html)

So, please, be so kind as to answer one more question: When PDNS queries
backends for updated serials, does it provide them with a list of the
'notified_serial's (as per your explanation in a previous post of
yours), that is, a list of all serials which it has previously used in
notifications, or the backends have to maintain such a list (of
previously notified serials)?

Sorry, I may be becoming tiresome, but I have a hard time running
through the source code to find out this detail. I may have to find time
to read a bit about programming in C.

I have a hard role to play without a regular maintainer on the LDAP
backend.

Thank you VERY much for all the details you provide and your cooperation,
Nick