[Pdns-users] MongoDB Backend merged Re: Mongo DB and PowerDNS part 3: Now with DNSSEC

Nick Milas nmilas at admin.noa.gr
Wed May 25 21:21:02 UTC 2011

On 25/5/2011 11:25 μμ, fredrik danerklint wrote:

> PowerDNS ask each backend for domains which has a different 'notified_serial'
> than 'serial' for the domain.

Thanks Fredrik for the info. If I understand it right, 'notified_serial'
is the one PowerDNS knows as current for a domain, and 'serial' is the
one stored in the same domain (in the backend), which may be updated or not.

But how/when is this question from PowerDNS triggered? I mean, how
PowerDNS knows *when* to ask the backend for an updated serial?

> This function is called getUpdatedMasters(vector<DomainInfo>* domains) and
> exists in the source file 'master.cc' for MongoDB backend.

I understand that the above function is part of the master (if I name it
correctly) process (i.e. not the backend). So, how is it in a file of
the backend?

> What PowerDNS except after a call to this function is a list of all domains
> that has a different serialnumber than notified serialnumber.
>
> Every backend can implement this functionallity differently since PowerDNS
> does not know how the information about a domain is stored.

That's trivial to retrieve, whatever the backend.

> The good part that you asked about this is that I (you!) found a bug which
> would not fill out the domains that has a different serial number against the
> real serial number. I've sent Bert a patch to be included in the source code
> to fix this.

I am glad I helped (even without knowing it) for a fix!

Nick