[Pdns-users] CNAME pointing to URL forwarding record

Leen Besselink leen at consolejunkie.net
Thu Mar 31 11:17:53 UTC 2011

On 03/31/2011 11:42 AM, Anthony Eden wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 11:32 AM, Leen Besselink
> <leen at consolejunkie.net <mailto:leen at consolejunkie.net>> wrote:
>
>     On 03/31/2011 09:18 AM, Anthony Eden wrote:
>     >
>     >
>     > On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 2:28 PM, Stefan Schmidt
>     <zaphodb at zaphods.net <mailto:zaphodb at zaphods.net>
>     > <mailto:zaphodb at zaphods.net <mailto:zaphodb at zaphods.net>>> wrote:
>     >
>     >     Hi Anthony,
>     >
>     >     On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 10:22 AM, Anthony Eden
>     >     <anthonyeden at gmail.com <mailto:anthonyeden at gmail.com>
>     <mailto:anthonyeden at gmail.com <mailto:anthonyeden at gmail.com>>> wrote:
>     >
>     >         When I point a CNAME record to a URL forwarding record
>     >         PowerDNS returns a SERVFAIL for the CNAME query when I go
>     >         through a resolver. If I dig directly against the
>     >         authoritative server it works just fine. Any suggestions on
>     >         how I can fix this, other than just replacing the CNAME with
>     >         another URL
>     >

>     Actually, if you use dig and pay really close attention you should see
>     you request www.wemakednssimple.com
>     <http://www.wemakednssimple.com> <http://www.sunnybliss.com>
>
>     But it returns wemakednssimple.com <http://wemakednssimple.com>.
>     without the www. Which is wrong. A
>     recursor will recognise this and just ignore that part of the answer
>     (there is nothing else in the answer so you get nothing).
>
>     I don't know what the cause is, but this is the result and why it
>     doesn't work.
>

> I wonder if setting skip-cname to yes would solve the problem and if
> so, what are the implications of doing so?

I wouldn't know. Seems to be a bug/issue the way it is.

I suggest you try it on a test-machine or something like that and try to
fix it there.

Maybe just change the settings of 1 server out of the 4 and drop packets
from other IP-addresses other then your recursor for a few seconds, so
they don't cache something which is wrong.