[Pdns-users] Status of the LDAP backend in 3.0 release

Udo Rader listudo at bestsolution.at
Thu Mar 24 10:55:00 UTC 2011

On 03/24/2011 11:36 AM, Nick Milas wrote:
> On 24/3/2011 10:11 πΌ, Angel Bosch Mora wrote:
>
>> what about a community donation?
>>
>> we could create a ticket with all people interested in this feature
>> and how much can they contribute.
>>
>> i think there's more people than we thing using LDAP backend.
>
> I like the idea. Such an announcement could be published to the ldap
> communities too.
>
> However, it strikes me that, although I have repeatedly published about
> the issue in this list, no one has expressed interest (you are the first
> one). Yet, I believe that there must be out there at least some
> people/organizations who use or would be interested in using the LDAP
> backend. (Googling for powerdns/ldap will reveal at least some activity
> in the recent or earlier past.)
>
> I find it a pity to put the LDAP backend (which I have mentioned in the
> past that is one of the virtues of powerdns vs other software) to
> unmaintained status.
>
> How can this be initiated? Has this be done in the past in the powerdns
> project?

Well, this entire thing might just be that no all people interested in
the LDAP backend are actively following the mailing list (like myself :-)

However, we are using the LDAP backend as well for our couple of
PowerDNS servers and would suffer much from dropping LDAP support.

On the other hand, I perfectly understand Bert's POV on the issue, so I
what I can offer is taking a look on the open issues and maybe - if time
allows - putting some manpower to it, but I will first have a look at
the issues myself.

Regards

Udo Rader

--