[Pdns-users] Status of the LDAP backend in 3.0 release

Nick Milas nmilas at admin.noa.gr
Wed Mar 23 16:19:32 UTC 2011

On 23/3/2011 11:05 πμ, bert hubert wrote:

> Unless something happens, the LDAP backend will move to 'unmaintained'
> status in the 3.0 release.
I think this attitude is the best. At least new admins planning DNS
server deployment *will know* that they should probably keep off LDAP
backend, since it's unmaintained.

My opinion is that LDAP backend is a very good solution for (at least)
small-to-mid sized organizations which can store/manage/use in a DIT all
their data and use standard admin tools, and this backend should be
maintained, but you are right: Since no direct interest is expressed
(which I still find surprising), there is no other way to go.

Pitty I am not a (professional) developer and my organization doesn't
have the resources to invest in improving an already good (as I think)
piece of software. We'll have to live with the current version and
probably migrate to other backend later - unless things change. Maybe
some people/organization will continue to find LDAP backend cool enough
to give it a push. :-)

Thanks,
Nick