[Pdns-users] Proper delegation of a subzone

umiotoko john.seaman at intusurg.com
Mon Jun 27 23:39:31 UTC 2011

This is probably a stooopid question, but I searched and couldn't find an
answer here.

I am a customer of a small DNS provider that uses PowerDNS.  I don't know
what version, so I'll assume it's recent.

I asked them to set up a new sub zone to our existing parent zone, they did
it but we ran into some testing issues.  We have an embedded OS with a
minimal IP stack and it has intermittent name resolution issues.

-- Key --
mydomain.tld                    is my domain.
newsubzone.mydomain.tld   is the sub zone being added
myotherdomain.tld             is my other domain, hosted elsewhere
ns1.mydnsprovider.net        is my outsourced DNS provider's NS for
mydomain.tld

--- Begin snippet ---

myhost          IN      CNAME      myhost.newsubzone.mydomain.tld

newsubzone     IN      NS      ns1.myotherdomain.tld
newsubzone     IN      NS      ns2.myotherdomain.tld

--- End snippet ---

My reading of bind documentation seems to show that when delegating a
subzone to an external server we need glue host (A) records for the subzone
nameservers (example below).

-- Question - do we need A records for the external DNS servers like this ?
-----------
ns1.myotherdomain.tld            IN       A          10.1.0.100
ns2.myotherdomain.tld            IN       A          10.1.0.150

-- End question

Does this sound accurate ?  I don't have the entire zone file, and I don't
know how exactly they host it, so I understand this is incomplete
information.  My snippet doesn't have trailing dots either, so I'm going to
guess they host in a DB.

--------------

When I do a dig to my DNS providers NS, I get the following:

C:\>dig @ns1.mydnsprovider.net

; <<>> DiG 9.3.2 <<>> @ns1.mydnsprovider.net myhost.mydomain.tld
; (1 server found)
;; global options:  printcmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr rd; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;myhost.mydomain.tld.                IN      A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
myhost.mydomain.tld. 3600    IN      CNAME   myhost.newsubzone.mydomain.tld.

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
newsubzone.mydomain.tld.      3600    IN      NS      ns1.myotherdomain.tld.
newsubzone.mydomain.tld.      3600    IN      NS      ns2.myotherdomain.tld.

;; Query time: 14 msec
;; SERVER: x.x.x.x#53(x.x.x.x)
;; WHEN: Mon Jun 27 16:27:20 2011
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 108