[Pdns-users] sqlite performance

Sten Spans sten at blinkenlights.nl
Mon Jan 24 08:00:48 UTC 2011

On Fri, 21 Jan 2011, Mark Felder wrote:

> Does anyone here have experience running sqlite as their backend for
> PowerDNS?
>
> Lately I've been prodded to get a timeline setup to revamp our current DNS
> architecture and implement what I've been envisoning. Unfortunately we have
> DNS servers on the same machines as public facing webservers. Sadly we can't
> move these quite yet (but it is slated to be done this year), and a few
> people seem slightly concerned about running a database server on those
> machines as well.

You could try running mysql with --skip-networking and
place the socket in a secured location.

> As a stop gap and to get us up and running on PowerDNS I
> figure running sqlite might not be a bad idea. Honestly, we're talking about
> less than 3000 domains that will be hosted. My only personal concern is the
> lack of REALLY good utilities for managing sqlite and not being able to talk
> to the sqlite database remotely....

For serious usage you want to use a scripting language anyway
and in that case switching between databases is mostly a non-issue.
I've had good experiences with python/sqlalchemy, switching databases
should be a one-line change.

For sqlite I tend to host the "master" database near the scripts
and then rsync it to the remote nameserver.

> But still, anyone have any thoughts on running PowerDNS on sqlite?

It works fine, but I've seen somewhat problematic slowdowns when doing
a lot of axfrs. sqlite just aint all that when dealing with a lot of
concurrency.

--
Sten Spans

"There is a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in."
Leonard Cohen - Anthem