[Pdns-users] PDNS - syslog test

Morgan Osborne mk492 at gmx.com
Sat Jan 8 22:15:23 UTC 2011

PowerDNS version you are using?
Power DNS Authoritative Server Version 2.9.22

Operating system it is running on?
 Linux(Ubuntu)

Hi Everyone,

 I just wanted to confirm an observation/test of my 'syslog' files to make sure that everything is operating correctly....

 In testing my PowerDNS from different computers, I have run the 'nslookup [site name]' command from my CMD prompt and then went to check my PDNS syslog files to confirm everything is operating correctly.

 Given this, I get one 'non authoritative, sending servfail' input for this [site name] in my logs from running this one 'nslookup [site name]' command.

 This one error should be okay because the 'nslookup' command sends three requests (PTR host name, A record and AAAA record), and I have:

 1 PTR record for the reverse mapping of the host name,

 1 A record for the [site name], and

 0 AAAA records for the [site name]

 Which is why my log files are showing the 'non authoritative, sending servfail' input for this [site name] in my syslog , because I have no AA, , ss , because I have no AAAA record.

 QUESTIONS:

 1. Thus, this one error is fine and should be expected from the layout described? If not, then why do I get the 'non authoritative, sending servfail' input?  ?

 2. Also, in your experiences what differs from a 'nslookup' command in a CMD prompt Vs. a 'http://' request from a internet browser such as Mozilla or Internet Explorer?

 Thank you for any help you can provide.

 Regards,

 -Morgan