[Pdns-users] PDNS Recursor on Debian / Low performance !!!URGENT!!!!

Stefan Schmidt zaphodb at zaphods.net
Mon Feb 7 09:45:51 UTC 2011

On Mon, Feb 07, 2011 at 09:38:42AM +0000, Maroon Ibrahim wrote:
> AS for the recursor.conf... I still didn't touch it.... what is your best recommendation to have the opimum cache??
>
> Please advise....

It depends on how much RAM you can spare.
Setting max-cache-entries=1000000 will use around 300MB on i386 and ~550MB on
x86_64. Leaving this unset (i.e. 0) the cache will have the potential to
outgrow your machines available memory hence causing it to swap resulting in
very bad performance obviously.
Most ISP setups are fine with sticking to 1000000 entries, 2000000 will give
you about 3-5% more cache hits depending on your load pattern ofc.

	Stefan
--
"People say I shouldn't frown because it uses more muscles than smiling.
Then I point out that Americans need their exercise."