[Pdns-users] Pipe-backend: ABI-v3, TXT, and DNSSEC

Jan-Piet Mens jpmens.dns at gmail.com
Mon Aug 8 16:57:55 UTC 2011

Hello,

I was curious as to wether PowerDNS would sign records produced by the
PIPE back-end, particularly since the release notes indicate it may be
possible ([3] also says "partial support").

I set up a small test with PowerDNS 3.0.1 [1] and the example
backend-v3.pl [2]. I encountered the following issues:

0. Configuration `powerdns.conf` contains only:

        daemon=no
        launch=gmysql,pipe
        gmysql-dnssec
        gmysql-dbname=pdns
        gmysql-host=127.0.0.1
        gmysql-port=3306
        gmysql-user=pdns
        gmysql-password=secret
        cache-ttl=0
        query-cache-ttl=0
        log-dns-details=yes
        loglevel=4
        pipe-command=/etc/powerdns/backend-v3.pl
        pipebackend-abi-version=3

1. A query of type ANY produces a SERVFAIL with the sample back-end. The
   console logs:
   Exception building answer packet (Parsing record content: Data field
   in DNS should start with quote (") at position 3 of '" "hallo
   allemaal!""') sending out servfail

   Changing quotes to single quotes, or removing them altogether doesn't
   improve: I can't get PowerDNS to reply with a TXT RR.

2. I created a zone in gmysql called example.com, type=NATIVE and
   signed it with `pdnssec secure-zone example.com`. (Records table for
   the zone is empty)

3. I query the PIPE backend `dig @127.0.0.1 example.com any' and get
   expected results including 3 DNSKEY RR

4. I query the PIPE backend `dig @127.0.0.1 +dnssec example.com any' and
   powerdns aborts with the following message on the console:

        Default beforeAndAfterAbsolute called!
        Got a signal 6, attempting to print trace

A bug or two, surely? :-)

Additionally, I note that the documentation for the PIPE backend [3]
has no mention of ABI version 3, nor does it describe the bits and auth
returned by the example pipe backend. Could somebody explain what the
`bits' are?

Thanks & regards,

        -JP

[1]: http://downloads.powerdns.com/releases/rpm/pdns-static-3.0-1.i386.rpm