[Pdns-users] lookup failing only with pdns recursor

Mark Felder feld at feld.me
Thu Apr 28 15:06:05 UTC 2011

Thanks for the reply. However, we were finally able to nail this down as
definitely not being PowerDNS' issue.

The server(s) in question are FreeBSD using the pf firewall. Both servers
are running FreeBSD 8.1, and have nearly identical rules. I copied over
the firewall config from the working server and it still didn't solve the
problem, but turning of the firewall definitely does. Very strange indeed.
I have no explanation, but this seems to be some obscure OS/network
stack/firewall issue and we're hunting it down.

Regards,

Mark