[Pdns-users] issues using the recursive-cache-ttl on powerdns 3.0rc2

bert hubert bert.hubert at netherlabs.nl
Tue Apr 19 20:05:48 UTC 2011

On Tue, Apr 19, 2011 at 01:14:45PM -0600, Bauer, Steven J. wrote:

> I have a linux machine configured with the powerdns server 3.0rc2 as an
> authoritive server using the gmysql backend.  This server is configured to
> handle recursive queries for the local campus as well by handling the
> request over the recursive resolver.

Hi Steven!

> The issue that I am seeing is that the first time a request is handled
> over to the recursive resolver (ie www.news.com), I get the correct
> results for the query.  Then if I duplicate the query again before the
> timeout of set by the recursive-cache-ttl expires, I get the following
> error when using nslookup:

Well spotted. As part of a recent cleanup, we removed certain functions we
thought were duplicates within PowerDNS. One of these duplicates turned out
not to be.

This in effect meant we were storing empty packets in the cache, and serving
them as answers to subsequent questions.

Can you verify against
http://powerdnssec.org/downloads/pdns-3.0-rc2.20110419.2176.tar.gz
or the associated packages on http://powerdnssec.org/downloads/packages/ ?

That would be most appreciated.