[Pdns-users] Sorting of DNS responses

Roland Schwingel Roland.Schwingel at onevision.com
Fri Apr 29 07:43:29 UTC 2011

Hi....

I am using pdns 2.9.22 with ldap backend for many months now. It works
very nice and without troubles.Thanks for this...
Maybe I am too dump to find this in the docu but I need to sort the
Similar to the sortlist feature of bind.

I am using the authoritative pdns server without recursor at present in 5
different networks (isolated from the internet) but  3 of them are
connected to each other. Each subnet runs its own instance of pdns (and
also a dhcp server hooked to the same LDAP). The LDAP itself is central.
Only one (replicated) directory serving all subnets.

I now got a couple of hosts with more than one interface OR hosts
(laptops) that are plugged once in this network and once into the other
network. Those hosts have multiple DNS entries with adresses in each of
allowed subnets for these hosts.

For example host "myhost" could have the following ip addresses:
192.168.0.11
192.168.1.11
192.168.2.11
192.168.4.11

When querying on a linux (or mac) box (via "host myhost") from subnet
192.168.2.0 I get
myhost.my.net has address 192.168.0.11
myhost.my.net has address 192.168.1.11
myhost.my.net has address 192.168.2.11
myhost.my.net has address 192.168.4.11

When I do a "ping myhost" from linux/mac it tries to ping 192.168.0.11,
But the 192.168.0.0 network is not reachable from the 192.168.2.0 network.
When querying from the 192.168.2.0 network the 192.168.2.11 should be
first address replied.

When using bind I am able to solve this by sortlists. How can I do this
with pdns and ldap backend?

Thanks for your help,

Roland