[Pdns-users] NOTIFY by pdns master with ldap backend in next authoritative server releases?

Nikolaos Milas nmilas at admin.noa.gr
Sat Oct 2 10:01:01 UTC 2010

  I have reached to the same conclusion.

However, rebuilding openldap doesn't seem to be easy or straightforward
(but I'll give it a try when I can)... It is commonly accepted that in
production servers, pre-built, platform-specific RPMs are preferred (to
avoid all sorts of problems), compiled by few experts, and I am not a
master in compiling :(.

Even if it had worked, I would continue to urge pdns developers to
support pdns/ldap Master functionality (essentially NOTIFY) in the core
code. It's an important feature. We users (eventually) find solutions
one way or another (always with developers' and experienced users'
help), but supporting features that help avoid implementation complexity
leads to better production systems and to happier administrators :).

So, my request to add master support to ldap backend remains open!

I also tried the notify-dns-slaves tool (which might be of great value)
manually, but I'm getting errors:

    notify-dns-slaves -d 4 'x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.ip6.arpa'
    dns2.example.com
    notify-dns-slaves: building notification packet for
    x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.ip6.arpa to dns2.example.com
    notify-dns-slaves: resolving address: dns2.example.com
    notify-dns-slaves: resolved address for: [unknown]
    notify-dns-slaves: preparing notification to: dns2.example.com
    notify-dns-slaves: resolved address for: 10.10.10.101
    notify-dns-slaves: preparing notification to: dns2.example.com
    notify-dns-slaves: starting processing
    notify-dns-slaves: sending notify for zone
    x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.ip6.arpa to dns2.example.com
    notify-dns-slaves: sending notify for zone
    x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.ip6.arpa to dns2.example.com
    notify-dns-slaves: couldn't send packet to server: dns2.example.com:
    Bad file descriptor
    notify-dns-slaves: received successful response for server:
    dns2.example.com
    notify-dns-slaves: sending notify for zone
    x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.ip6.arpa to dns2.example.com
    notify-dns-slaves: couldn't send packet to server: dns2.example.com:
    Bad file descriptor
    notify-dns-slaves: sending notify for zone
    x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.ip6.arpa to dns2.example.com
    notify-dns-slaves: couldn't send packet to server: dns2.example.com:
    Bad file descriptor
    notify-dns-slaves: sending notify for zone
    x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.ip6.arpa to dns2.example.com
    notify-dns-slaves: couldn't send packet to server: dns2.example.com:
    Bad file descriptor
    notify-dns-slaves: notification to server timed out: dns2.example.com
    notify-dns-slaves: processing done

What does it mean by "Bad file descriptor"? What can I do?

Thanks for your great help and support,
Nick