[Pdns-users] Poweradmin Bounty

Rene Bartsch ml at bartschnet.de
Mon Nov 15 00:23:23 UTC 2010

JPoweradmin shows a good usability! Great! (except the white background)!

The "link" feature looks like ticket 44 and makes me very happy, too
(assuming the linked zones provide the same records as the source zone).

Are you going to add a DynDNS-API, too
(http://www.dyndns.com/developers/specs/syntax.html)?

Best regards,

Renne

On Sun, 14 Nov 2010 15:53:20 -0600, Jivko Sabev <jsabev at nicmus.com> wrote:
> [...]
> password: test
>
> The zone listing of  linked domains are displayed as follows
>
> example.net [example.com]
>
> where example.net is linked to example.com.
>
> It is also possible to unlink the zones so that they can be manually
> managed.
>
> I am working out some quirks - e.g. at the moment it is not possible
> to delete a "parent" zone without first deleting all linked zones.
>
> Regards,
>
> Jivko
>

> On Wed, Nov 3, 2010 at 3:24 PM, Steven Crandell
> <steven.crandell at gmail.com> wrote:
>> If I'm understanding your need correctly, and if I'm understanding what
>> it
>> would take for poweradmin to handle it, then this should be fairly
>> straightforward.
>> Therefore, I must assume I'm misunderstanding something!
>> ; )
>> By way of a designing a logic straw man (that requires the fewest
number
>> of
>> changes possible), what would be wrong with this:
>> Ad a powerdns meta (lookup) table to store a parent  -> child domain
>> template system.
>> Adding a parent and child to this table would result in a one time
>> destruction of all records associated with the child domain and new set
>> of
>> inserts (based on the existing parent records) to ensure the child
domain
>> records match the parent domain.
>> That's the hardest part.
>> From there, all that would have to happen is that when new set of
>> records is
>> saved to a domain, a check against this template lookup table would
need
>> be done. If the host being modified is a parent, then additional
>> inserts/updates/deletes would be dynamically generated to effect the
same
>> change in all child domains.  If the domain being changed is found to
be
>> child, then the update should be blocked in the front end, with a
>> recommendation that the changes be made on the parent domain or that
the
>> parent/child relationship be removed before trying to updated the
domain.

>> There are some other things that could be done to basically alias one
>> domain
>> to another so that there really is only ever one set of records for a
>> group
>> of domains but I think you'd have to get in and either tweak your pdns
>> queries or hand tweak your pdns db backend tables.
>> If the requirement is that poweradmin be able to abstract the entire
>> process
>> then I'm going to stick with the first method I proposed.
>> -steve
>> Alternatively (and the more I think about it, the more i think this

with