[Pdns-users] Multi server deployment

Nick Williams nicholas at nicholaswilliams.net
Wed Nov 10 15:31:58 UTC 2010

Atha,

Indeed I must not have understood you quite properly. Why would you need even need slave updates and/or master-master replication? The various PDNS servers in this setup are all acting independently without any knowledge of each other. They are all neither masters nor slaves, depending only on their local MySQL slave backend and not all talking to the same master backend. Could you explain further why you think you would need PowerDNS slave updates or master-master replication?

Thanks,

Nick

On Nov 10, 2010, at 9:14 AM, Atha Kouroussis wrote:

> Hi Nick,
> thank you for your quick answer!
>
> Obviously I didn't make myself clear in my email, since the second scenario we are contemplating, is very similar to what you described: one master backend, and then each pdns server each with its own slave backend. And I do see the advantages in robustness and performance of this type of scenario. MySQL replication (master-slave) is not an issue for us. We are battle seasoned on that front.
>
> What I can't really fit in this scenario is slave updates, unless having a dedicated pdns server talking to the master backend just for this purpose. Multiple slaves would require either master-master replication (not something we want to pursue) or multiple instances of pdns talking to the same master backend. Thanks for your help.
>
> Cheers,
> Atha
>
> On Nov 10, 2010, at 12:01 PM, Nick Williams wrote:
>
>> Atha,
>>
>> Let me share with you what we did at the company I used to work for (and this is an identical configuration to what I have setup for myself). We don't have master and slave PDNS servers. We have "workers" of sorts. Our master and slaves are the MySQL backends.
>>
>> We have a master MySQL server which is the server that we perform all writes against. It serves as the master backend, and no PDNS installations connect to it directly. In fact, PDNS isn't even installed on the server that hosts the master backend. Then, on each physical (or virtual) DNS server, we have MySQL server and PDNS installed. The MySQL server, which is a slave backend, replicates off of the master backend. Then, PDNS connects to the local MySQL server for its backend.
>>
>> There are many advantages to setting it up this way:
>>
>> - Performance: Our PDNS servers are able to more quickly serve out answers to questions since they are connecting to a local MySQL instance instead of a remote MySQL instance, and we don't have multiple PDNS servers querying the same MySQL database, which also decreases response time.
>> - Robustness: If our master backend goes down, all PDNS servers can continue to answer questions because they are oblivious to this downtime. This is very convenient for maintenance periods, also. If one of the "worker" servers goes down, again, this is transparent to the master backend and to the other workers, which continue to operate as if nothing had happened. We don't use master-master replication and, in fact, this increases redundancy, it doesn't decrease it.
>>
>> This is a pretty standard way of configuring PowerDNS, and it has worked very well for us. We have had 0% DNS-answer downtime in the last three years, even when our master backend crashed due to a hardware failure six months ago. It's hard to find any problems with that kind of result.

> [...]
>>> Atha