[Pdns-users] Acheiving 40,000 QPS

Imre Gergely gimre at narancs.net
Mon May 17 06:53:14 UTC 2010

First things first: use threads=4 or threads=8 and packet-cache.

This is how I did it:

Run a couple of dnsperf's like this:

./dnsperf -d queryfile-example-3million -s <IP> -p <port> -t 2 -l
$((3600*10)) -q 2000 -Q 2000 > logfile.log 2>&1

This will run a dnsperf from a queryfile for 10 hours (so you will see
something on the graphs), with 2000qps. Now, run a couple of these
simultaneously and see what happens.

Probably not a scientific method for precise testing :), but you should
see the qps on the graphs (make sure you create some graphs). You should
run the dnsperfs from another machine IMHO (or maybe 2-3 other machines).

Here's a bigger queryfile to replay if you need it (real life customer
queries from two months ago):

http://hosting.astral.ro/~gimre/queryfile-24mil.txt.bz2

Let us know how it goes.

Disclaimer: I'm no (power)DNS expert or anything, so the above could be
worthless :)

On 05/17/2010 08:45 AM, Lee Standen wrote:
> Hi All,
>

> We’re looking to trial PowerDNS as an option to replace our Nominum CNS
> servers in the next few months, and we’re impressed by the performance
> claimed by PowerDNS.
>

> I’ve deployed a recursive server and have attempted to replay some
> captured traffic, but based on my initial testing, I’m only able to pull
> about 2500 requests per second.
>

> Does any documentation exist which describes which settings must be
> changed to achieve the claimed 40,000 requests per second?
>

> The server is currently deployed on an IBM HS-21XM blade, which is an 8
> core Xeon system.
>

> Thanks

Imre Gergely
Yahoo!: gergelyimre | ICQ#: 101510959
MSN: gergely_imre | GoogleTalk: gergelyimre
gpg --keyserver subkeys.pgp.net --recv-keys 0x34525305