[Pdns-users] Negative cache problem since upgrade to 3.2

bert hubert bert.hubert at netherlabs.nl
Tue Mar 9 14:12:43 UTC 2010

On Tue, Mar 09, 2010 at 03:06:09PM +0100, Oli Schacher wrote:
> Hi list
>
> We upgraded our resolvers to 3.2 (Centos5, 64bit)
> After the upgrade, the setting max-negative-ttl=30 does not seem to work
> anymore. New records take up several minutes until they show up in the
> cache.
> Even if we explicitely perform a "rec_control wipe-cache" on those new A
> record we get NXDOMAIN from the recursor.

Dear mr Schacher,

This is an effect of the packet cache, which indeed does not take
max-negative-ttl into account, nor does it respond to 'rec_control
wipe-cache'.

It is really fast however.

For now, you could solve this problem by setting packet-cache-ttl to a lower
number, say 20 seconds.

Can you also open tickets on http://wiki.powerdns.com (login with the
password NoSpam) about this problem?

1) packet cache does not do max-negative-ttl
2) wipe-cache ignores the packetcache

Thanks!