[Pdns-users] External CNames

Ross Halliday ross at wtccommunications.ca
Fri Mar 5 16:04:16 UTC 2010

Setting a CNAME to an external host is not as uncommon as you might
think - we have several customers who have DNS with us but use a third
party for hosted Exchange or SharePoint. In this case they would do
something like point "sharepoint.customerdomain.tld" as a CNAME to
"hostedmicrosoftstuff.someprovider.tld"

We don't have PowerDNS rolled out here yet so I can't speak from
experience, but it makes sense to me that PowerDNS might just
regurgitate the contents of the record for a CNAME whereas everything
else is processed internally, hence the period is not required?

Just a thought

Cheers
---
Ross Halliday