[Pdns-users] Deleted DNS Records not Removing from Slave

Derrik Pates demon at devrandom.net
Sat Jun 26 12:47:48 UTC 2010

On 06/25/2010 10:13 PM, Brandon Lee wrote:
> We have 2 PDNS servers using the MySQL backend.  Both servers have
> their own MySQL database.  When inserting a DNS record, or making
> changes the record is updated by the slave server.  However, when a
> record is deleted, the record is not being deleted from the slave
> server.  Is there some additional configuration option that must be
> set, or is it not possible for the slave to delete records?

If you're talking about individual records within zones, then yes, the
deletions should definitely show up. Are you correctly updating zone
serials on the master so that the slave knows there's been a change in
the zone? If you're using autoserials, you should touch the timestamp
field on at least one other record (the SOA is a good choice).

However, if you mean deleted *zones*, then no, there's not a way in the
DNS protocol to express "this zone is going away". It sounds like Mark
has a simple PHP script, and I actually have a small Perl script, to
prune old zones out of the data store. That's really the best way to
handle that problem.

--
Derrik Pates
demon at devrandom.net