[Pdns-users] Running pdns-recursor without internet access

bert hubert bert.hubert at netherlabs.nl
Wed Jun 16 07:25:06 UTC 2010

On Mon, Jun 14, 2010 at 11:56:01AM +0200, Wouter van Bommel wrote:
> Since a slave zone is not an option for the external domain I tried to
> setup the pdns-recursor.  This works nice.  But it does give me error
> regarding 'not being able to update .  zone'.  Which is explainable since
> there is no internet connection.
>
> What is the best way in the above setup to get rid of these message's?

You could set up a root-hints file, or even hardcode the root-zone. In
general, the PowerDNS Recursor is not set up very well for running without
access to something that behaves as a root server.

I think that if you download a root-zone from
ftp://rs.internic.net/domain/root.zone and remove the last TXT line
('plenus'), you can feed it to PowerDNS as:

auth-zones=.=root.zone

This might solve your problem after the initial root-priming error.

	Bert