[Pdns-users] PowerDNS capabilities- "link" domains?

Tonix (Antonio Nati) tonix at interazioni.it
Wed Jul 28 08:28:20 UTC 2010

Chris Wopat ha scritto:
>> Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2010 14:42:30 -0500
>> From: Chris Wopat <me at falz.net>
>> Subject: [Pdns-users] PowerDNS capabilities- "link" domains?
>> To: pdns-users at mailman.powerdns.com
>>
>> I'm looking for a web based DNS frontend for our customers to use. We
>> have many circumstances where we simply symlink BIND zone files so
>> there's one set of A/CNAME/MX records to maintain for multiple domains
>> (foo.com, foo.org, foo.net, etc). If they need to change an A record,
>> it's done in one place and is consistent across all of those domains.
>> Does PowerDNS natively have the ability to do this?
>>

> I looked at the default DB schema for MySQL and I'm not seeing
> anything in it that could accommodate this without another table or a
> schema change. Anyone have insight as to weather this type of
> modification is possible?

We have the same need, managing zones which handle more domains with
same characteristics.

We made a little study, and there are two ways to go:

    * modify DB and powerdns code, in order to handle:
          o one or two more table for templates zones (cloning domains
            and records table structures)
          o two more field on domain table: one for indicating that
            records must be read from templates zone; the other with the
            name of template zone to be used
          o change additional features, like modifying the template must
            force change notifies for all domains linked to that zone.
    * We use poweradmin, which has templates zones, but they are quite
      too poor, so we asked to add in poweradmin:
          o link between template and domains
          o when a template change, make same changes to linked domains

Doing changes in poweradmin does not need any powerdns change.
But making such changes in powerdns would make all better.

Tonino

        Inter at zioni            Interazioni di Antonio Nati
   http://www.interazioni.it      tonix at interazioni.it