[Pdns-users] PTRs and SQL queries,, autoserial?

Jared Watkins jared at jaredwatkins.com
Thu Jul 29 21:47:20 UTC 2010

I¹m new to pdns.. and I¹ve read the docs and seen how PTR records are
supposed to be setup but I can¹t get reverse lookups to work.. nor can I see
from the default sql queries how they would ever be found.  So I assume I¹m
missing something. =]

I¹m also not clear on weather the generic mysql backend supports auto
serials (conflicting info in the docs) or how that is to be implemented.

When I attempt a reverse lookup for an internernal test IP I see the
following queries get run against the mysql server..

select content,ttl,prio,type,domain_id,name from records where
name='192.168.103.32'
select content,ttl,prio,type,domain_id,name from records where
name='*.168.103.32'
select content,ttl,prio,type,domain_id,name from records where
name='*.103.32'
select content,ttl,prio,type,domain_id,name from records where name='*.32'

I fail to see how this will ever match the format of the PTR recs I¹ve seen
suggested as name,type,content:

32.103.168.92.in-addr.arpa    PTR    testserver.test.net

I do have a reverse domain defined in the domains table.. but I don¹t see
that it ever gets queried.

What¹s going sideways here?

Thanks,
Jared