[Pdns-users] PDNS Timing Out

Brandon Lee devmgr1 at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 27 23:49:19 UTC 2010

Hello,

Recently, our master PowerDNS server load increased dramatically and is timing
out in certain areas of the world when servers are performing look ups.  For
example, an email user reported that they were getting NDRs and delayed
reports.  After we investigated we come to find that the sending user's mail
server was timing out when performing lookups.

Therefore, we turned on logging by setting the log level to 6 in the pdns.conf
file and only on the master server we saw hundreds of queries like below being
logged whereas on the slave server this was not happening.  Not sure if this is
related, but the master DNS server is in high load.

One thing we have done was changed all our domains SOA record TTL from 3600 to
86400 to see if that would bring the load down and no cigar.  Also, is it
recommended to run PowerDNS in daemon mode?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

n_id=215
May  9 03:35:45 ns1 pdns[9065]: Query: select content,ttl,prio,type,domain_id,na
me from records where name='ns1.mydomain.com'
May  9 03:35:45 ns1 pdns[9065]: Query: select content,ttl,prio,type,domain_id,na
me from records where name='ns2.mydomain.com'
May  9 03:35:45 ns1 pdns[9065]: Query: select content,ttl,prio,type,domain_id,na
me from records where name='ns1.mydomain.com'
May  9 03:35:45 ns1 pdns[9065]: Query: select content,ttl,prio,type,domain_id,na
me from records where name='ns2.mydomain.com'
May  9 03:35:45 ns1 pdns[9065]: Query: select content,ttl,prio,type,domain_id,na
me from records where name='mydomain.com'
May  9 03:35:45 ns1 pdns[9065]: Query: select content,ttl,prio,type,domain_id,na