[Pdns-users] pdns-recursor returning bad data intermittently

Sukh Khehra skhehra at proofpoint.com
Tue Feb 16 17:45:26 UTC 2010

I am running dig against the dns server that is configured to use
/etc/exports. So I know that dig itself will not look at /etc/exports
but dig is querying a pdns-recursor that is configured to do so.

So this past weekend, I have upgraded my pdns-recursor instances to
3.1.7.2 and am still seeing the problem. The problem, again, is as
follows:

I have this in my /etc/hosts file:

172.17.23.231	smtp.mydomain.net. smtp

I have this in my powerdns config:

export-etc-hosts=on
fork=yes
forward-zones-file=/etc/powerdns/zones.conf

I have this in my zones.conf file
mydomain.net=172.17.18.241;172.17.18.242

After a new pdns_recursor restart everything works perfectly. The
pdns_recursor returns "172.17.23.231" for smtp.mydomain.net.

But after the TTL expires on the smtp.mydomain.net record, it starts
returning the information configured on the forwarders. So in other
words the /etc/hosts override is no longer honored.

Thanks everyone for your help/suggestions with this.

Regards,
Sukh