[Pdns-users] Recursor / pdns installation help

Patrick Coffin patrick at islandtechnologies.net
Wed Dec 22 21:22:40 UTC 2010

Leen,

Hopefully a few last questions and I will attempt to keep it brief.  I am just having confusion on how to get the recursor servers to lookup from pdns with my configuration.  I get that being authoritative for a domain will initiate a lookup to the defined dns server.  How do I get a lookup and not expose the pdns software to the net and get the answers through recursor.

Currently this is my setup:

Each of my dns servers runs pdns and each has a slave copy of the master pdns mysql database and in turn each server looks up the dns locally via mysql.  This has been working great for 2 years.

The problem each server is running pdns which has a DOS vulnerability. which is why I am upgrading to implement recursor.
ns1@	mydomain.com - on server 1
ns2 at mydomain.com - on server 2
ns3 at mydomain.com - on server 3
ns3 at mydomain.com - on server 4

Also for testing I have ns5 setup on a new server running both pdns(5300) and recursor (53).  The pdns software from my research and security testing still has the DOS issue.  So when recursor is on ns5 responding to port 53 requests it passes the security testing.

New Setup question:

My plan is to install recursor on each of the ns1,ns2,ns3, and ns4 servers and then install pdns onto the fifth server (currently ns5).  Should pdns on each be responding to port 53 requests only from ns1-4 on port 53?  In doing this then I only have one databases connection supporting the ns1-4 servers and now do not need the mysql slaves on each server.  Currently all my hosting domains are pointing to ns1-4.

So does each server ns1-4 need a forward definition to lookup on the ns5 pdns server to get the authoritative response?

I was hoping to keep the data local to each server. Since I set it up originally this way the dns servers have been running great.  I am attempting to avoid a single point of failure with my setup.

Thanks in advance.  Like I said previously I think I am just missing a piece of the pie to get it all together.

Patrick