[Pdns-users] anual AXFR works, automatic does not (txt-version)

LikeFiction info at likefiction.com
Fri Aug 6 15:15:52 UTC 2010

Need to add one thing:
> I got put off by thinking you were provisioning a new zone and thus assuming that notified-seriel would be set to 0 or NULL by default.

You where in fact for a part correct. By using Poweradmin (some time
ago), I created a new zone. Poweradmin however makes a soa with a
default value of 0, if I remember correctly. I'm not sure if everyone
uses a NULL field als notified_serial, but if this notified_serial is 0
(or maybe if PowerDNS thinks that NULL == 0), then the new zone (without
any records) will not be updated untill records are added.

I also read that PowerDNS is not automatically changing the SOA record
to a "yymmddxx" value since some version. So, in this case it could be
that, for a domain where PowerAdmin did not raise the SOA field >0, the
domain is not transferred to the slave. And PowerAdmin is correct,
because in the documentation of PowerDNS (some threat on Poweradmin
refers to that) it is stated that PowerDNS automatically set's the
correct SOA.

Bottom line: this bug should be fixed some day, but is not likely to
occur often.

With kind regards / Met vriendelijke groet,

Pierre van den Oord

LikeFiction
Kleyn Proffijtlaan 49
2343 DB Oegstgeest
The Netherlands

T +31 (0)85 7850699 (Mo-Fr 10-17, GMT +1)
T +31 (0)6 12469791 (Mobile)
M info at LikeFiction.com
W www.LikeFiction.com
Please include the original message when you reply!