[Pdns-users] anual AXFR works, automatic does not (txt-version)

LikeFiction info at likefiction.com
Thu Aug 5 13:55:24 UTC 2010

Hi all,

(Text-version instead of previous HTML, sorry for that)

I am having this problem for quite some time now. I have rechecked the
configuration many times, but I'm confident it is accurate. I have
installed two nameservers, ns1.domain.com and ns2.domain.com. The first
is a super-master server. I use the Debian PowerDNS 2.9.22 package, and
only added settings to /etc/powerdns/pdns.d/

ns1 (super-master) configuration:
gmysql-host=127.0.0.1
gmysql-user=XXXX
gmysql-password=XXXXX
gmysql-dbname=XXXX
master=yes <--- Note: in docs "on" is mentioned. It seems both work.
slave=no
local-address=95.215.63.212
query-local-address=95.215.63.212
setuid=pdns
setgid=pdns
allow-axfr-ips=84.243.213.33
disable-axfr=no
slave-cycle-interval=60

ns2 (slave) configuration:
launch=gmysql
gmysql-host=XXX
gmysql-user=XXX
gmysql-password=XXXX
gmysql-dbname=XXXX
local-address=84.243.213.33
query-local-address=84.243.213.33
slave=yes
setuid=pdns
setgid=pdns

and one row on supermasters table on slave:
ip: 95.215.63.212
nameserver: ns2.xxxxxxxx.com (refers to slave itself)

I am running some domains on the master server. I did install the
slaveserver, and shutdown the master-server and slaveserver. Then, I
started the slave-server, and thereafter, started the master-server. I
would expect the master server to start sending notifications about the
domains to the slaveserver, but this is not happening, not even after 15
minutes. This makes the slave respond Not authoritative for ..... for
each domain, whereas the master-server is, of course, working fine.

The only solution is to manually issue the "notify DOMAIN" command for
each domain. That is not a workable setup. Why is the slave not
automatically notified? Thanks for your help!

p.s. Company name of client is blank to make sure Google won't index it.

--
With kind regards / Met vriendelijke groet,

Pierre van den Oord

LikeFiction
Kleyn Proffijtlaan 49
2343 DB Oegstgeest
The Netherlands

T +31 (0)85 7850699 (Mo-Fr 10-17, GMT +1)
T +31 (0)6 12469791 (Mobile)
M info at LikeFiction.com
W www.LikeFiction.com