[Pdns-users] Using pdns-recursor on a network with high latency.

Andre Recnik andre at cita.utoronto.ca
Wed Sep 23 17:08:20 UTC 2009

On 09/22/2009 06:37 AM, bert hubert wrote:
> Gentelemen,
>
> Could you perhaps try
> http://svn.powerdns.com/snapshots/pdns-recursor-3.1.8-testing.tar.bz2
> ?
> It has a default timeout of 1.5 seconds now, and this can be tuned
> using the 'network-timeout' setting (in milliseconds).
>
> Please let me know if it solves the problem.
>
> I might make this auto-tuning.
>
>      Bert

My network problem (the high latency) was fixed by the ISP (at least for
now), but I have tested the updated recursor with a latency simulator
(WANem).

The results are:

Works great for all sites I tested with up to 5600ms latency (provided I
set the 'network-timeout' to 6000).

I did not test beyond 5600ms of latency; I do not see much point, as
networks with that kind of latency are almost unusable anyway.

Having it auto-tuning would be nice, as that would save the problem of
needing to manually change it in a network event.

Thank you for the patch!

Andre