[Pdns-users] Using pdns-recursor on a network with high latency.

Andre Recnik andre at cita.utoronto.ca
Wed Sep 16 20:56:04 UTC 2009

I have been using PowerDNS and the PowerDNS recursor to host two name
servers, for the last three months, in a 30+ user environment with no
problems.

Recently my ISP has been doing some 'upgrades' which as caused very high
latency in the last few days.  This latency is between 2.1 and 5.6
seconds (as seen in a trace route to outside my network).

As a result almost all look-ups are failing - and I have had to use BIND
as my recursor (which for some reason works even with the high latency).

I'm assuming that there is a built in timeout system in pdns-recursor,
and that this is causing the lookups to fail - however I can't find a
way to change this value (at least not without source modification).

Is there a config file option that would let me change the timeout (or
number of tries)?   Should that be added as a feature to future
releases?   Or is this perhaps the result of some other bug or feature
in pdns-recursor?

Thanks,
Andre