[Pdns-users] Please validate my PowerDNS Infrastucture proposal

Steven Crandell steven.crandell at gmail.com
Sun Oct 18 23:41:30 UTC 2009

On Sun, Oct 18, 2009 at 3:50 PM, Barron, Josh <jbarron at afsnetworks.com>wrote:

> I think I have it understood.  I just setup the public DNS servers to
> replicate the stealth master DNS server; everything else is resolved at the
> database layer.  The only vulnerability is that if my primary database is
> corrupted or compromised, the 4 public servers are instantly invalid.

As it relates to a compromise, super master setups are similarly vulnerable.
The only difference is that if your master is compromised, the bad data will
be pushed out to slaves via AXFR updates rather than db replication.
Depending on how you're looking at the situation, it might be worth
mentioning that a properly configured PDNS instance does not expose the
database to public scrutiny .  Therefore, in either scenario, an attacker
must compromise PDNS itself.

As it relates to corruption: Using a super master setup will only save you
if the corruption on the master actually prevents AXFR's from being
trasmitted properly (e.g. on-disk file corruption etc).  In that case your
slaves will hum along happily with valid, if stale, data.  In practice, most
data "corruption" tends to be a result of an authorized operator
accidentally issuing something along the lines of:
DELETE FROM records;
In this situation there's little if any difference between the time periods
when a db replicated setup vs. a super master setup will reflect the bad
data.
Web frontends and transactions are the answer here.

The ultimate decision maker for me was the fact that PDNS won't perform AXFR
updates to hosts that are not listed as NS hosts in the master DB.  This
made it (close to) impossible for me to use master-slave or super master
configurations that push updates to reserved/VPN'd IP addresses.

While slightly counter-intuitive, native db replication is, in my opinion,
the least complicated method for keeping multiple PDNS hosts in sync.

> Last question for now, do I do anything special with PDNS on the "public"
> name servers, or do I just set them up normally...

This is fairly open ended but here's some thoughts for consideration:

- set your version-string to anonymouse
- ensure your pdns webserver is off, or protected by a firewall
- use chroot
- make sure you are not providing recusion to the entire internet
(allow-recursion=<specific ip/nets>)
- if you're using db replication you can disable-axfr=yes
- you should also be able to: disable-tcp=yes