[Pdns-users] Reliable supermaster setup - howto?

Przemyslaw Wegrzyn czajnik at sitenet.pl
Fri Oct 23 10:54:14 UTC 2009

Hi!

I'm quite new to PDNS, I'm considering switching from bind9 to pdns,
mostly for its easy integration with database backend (at the moment our
system uses custom scripts that generate bind config files after each
change). I'm just evaluating simple PDNS setup.

1. I can see that any time serial is updated in the SOA record of the
domain, pdns server discovers the change and reloads the zone. That's
great, however - this is obviously a kind of polling, which
configuration parameter controls the interval of database queries?

2. I'd like to automatically propagate new domains to slave DNS server,
the idea of 'supermaster' looks exactly like what I need. My current
setup sends notifications about zone changes to slave, and my slave
happily configures new zones. However, I'm concerned about situation
when particular notification is lost.  How should the system recover
from that situation?

Cheers,
Przemek