[Pdns-users] Geo backend help

Kalpesh Thaker kalpesh at webdevworld.com
Wed May 20 07:55:41 UTC 2009

> Hi Everyone,
>
> Im trying to implement a powerdns setup with mysql and geo backends for geo
> redirection. unfortunately, i have run into a small problem, that i cant
> seem to figure out.
>
> i've setup the mysql and geo backends correctly, however, when starting up
> pdns, i get the following error in the syslog:
>
> "TCP server is unable to launch backends - will try again when questions
> come in: stat() failed, or
> /etc/powerdns/pdns.d/zones/zz.countries.nerd.dk.rbldnsd is no regular
> file."
>
> i have tried rsyncing the country files from scratch, and im still getting
> the same error. i can confirm that the file is there, and that dir paths
> are intact. i can also confirm that the files have 777 chmod permissions,
> and that i can actually vim the file that pdns cannot find, there is actual
> data in the file which is readable.
>
> if i remove geo from the launch option in the pdns.conf file, and comment
> out geo-* options, pdns-server runs perfectly with mysql.
>
> i am using debian 4.0etch9 for the setup.
>
> the mysql backends are working perfectly, im just having a problem with the
> geo backend at the moment.
>
> any advice or help is very much appreciated.
>
> thanks
>
> kalpesh.

Hello again,

i seem to have found the solution to my problem, and i am now seeing this in
the syslog (which is correct):

"[geobackend] Parsing IP map zonefile
May 20 11:39:17 ns1 pdns[2487]: [geobackend] Finished parsing IP map zonefile:
added 93357 prefixes, storedin 231491 nodes using 2777892 bytes of memory
May 20 11:39:17 ns1 pdns[2487]: [geobackend] Parsing director map /etc/geo-
maps/www
May 20 11:39:17 ns1 pdns[2487]: [geobackend] Finished parsing 1 director map
files, 0 failures"

what i did was remove the zone and geo-map files from the pdns.d dir, and place
them recursively in the /etc dir instead. now everything seems to be fine.

next step is to configure the zone RR's. :)

cheers

kalpesh.