[Pdns-users] STL error

Leen Besselink leen at consolejunkie.net
Sun Mar 8 12:22:18 UTC 2009

Johan Kooijman wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thank you for your reply.
>
>> Hmm, I'm no expert, but looking at the error and code, I would say,
>> your TCP-connection to the PowerDNS died.
>
> My guess too.
>
>> TCP is different from the normal UDP-packets used by DNS.
>>
>> If this is a new installation, you are possible setting it up in an
>> environment where you might not need a firewall on that server,
>> could you disable it and test it again ? It looks like PowerDNS
>> is not able to push any packets out to your dig-client. If I were
>> to guess, I would say PowerDNS is not receiving the TCP-ACK-packets.
>
> That's the strange thing: there is no firewall running on this
> machine. I tried adding the listen-address option in pdns.conf, no
> luck. I did a tcpdump on it's interface when I did the dig, result is
> here: http://pastebin.com/m746248ae

The last line is a reset packet from client to server, I wouldn't
expect to see a reset packet. I tried a working installation as a
test and I didn't see a reset packet.

I don't know why the client-side does this, but it's not the usual
way.

Also I noticed there were no packets with F (for finished) so that
would mean the server wasn't done sending.

Maybe first try from localhost on the PowerDNS-server ?