[Pdns-users] STL error

Leen Besselink leen at consolejunkie.net
Sun Mar 8 09:38:41 UTC 2009

Johan Kooijman wrote:
> Goodmorning all,

Goodday to you too,

> I've been using pdns for abou 7 years now and it simply rocks. Having
> said that .. I'm running into a problem on a new setup I'm building.
>
> Machine is a CentOS 5 i386 installation with stock MySQL and PDNS from
> CentOS' own repositories. When I execute a dig I get the following:
>
> hw28109:~# dig @85.113.250.240 axfr example.com
>
> ; <<>> DiG 9.3.4-P1.1 <<>> @85.113.250.240 axfr example.com
> ; (1 server found)
> ;; global options:  printcmd
> example.com.            86400   IN      SOA     ns1.jkit.nl.
> hostmaster.jkit.nl. 0 10800 3600 604800 3600
> ;; Query time: 3 msec
> ;; SERVER: 85.113.250.240#53(85.113.250.240)
> ;; WHEN: Sun Mar  8 08:43:32 2009
> ;; XFR size: 1 records (messages 1)
>
> I'm missing some data, the zone has records. I see the following in
> the pdns logfile:
>
> Mar  8 10:43:32 ve28125 pdns[15268]: AXFR of domain 'example.com' to
> 85.113.250.29 finished
> Mar  8 10:43:32 ve28125 pdns[15268]: TCP Connection Thread died
> because of STL error: Reading data: Connection reset by peer
>
> Now, to make it even weirder: PDNS does know there are records:
>
> hw28109:~# nslookup
>> lserver 85.113.250.240
> Default server: 85.113.250.240
> Address: 85.113.250.240#53
>> www.example.com
> Server:         85.113.250.240
> Address:        85.113.250.240#53
>
> Name:   www.example.com
> Address: 85.113.250.50
>
> Any suggestions? Thanks!

Hmm, I'm no expert, but looking at the error and code, I would say,
your TCP-connection to the PowerDNS died.

TCP is different from the normal UDP-packets used by DNS.

If this is a new installation, you are possible setting it up in an
environment where you might not need a firewall on that server,
could you disable it and test it again ? It looks like PowerDNS
is not able to push any packets out to your dig-client. If I were
to guess, I would say PowerDNS is not receiving the TCP-ACK-packets.

> Met vriendelijke groet / With kind regards,

Hope it helps.

Have a nice day,
  Leen Besselink.