[Pdns-users] PDNS performance comparison to BIND

Jan Rudinsky rudinsj at fel.cvut.cz
Tue Jun 23 06:53:34 UTC 2009

Hello Bert,

bert hubert wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 23, 2009 at 2:05 AM, Jan Rudinsky<rudinsj at fel.cvut.cz> wrote:
>> Hello,
>> I have tested PDNS performance (configuration below). A zone transfer of 100
>> 000 records takes ~ 10 s using either MySQL or file backends.
>> However Bind can make it in ~ 1 s (file-stored records).
>
> Hi Jan,
>
> We've never really optimised the zone transfer performance of PowerDNS
> because it has not really been an important use case so far.
>
> Are you measuring an incoming zonetransfer? Our outgoing?
>
> It may very well be than an outgoing one is pretty slow.

Exactly. Pdns sends information sequentialy as received from database.
It might be faster to collect all the information first, then send it.

> Is it important to you? We could change PowerDNS if needed.
>
>     Bert

It's just an idea of a telecom system based on DNS ZT. If successful I
believe pdns will get optimized.

Thank you,

Jan

--
  Ing. Jan Rudinsky
  R&D Centre (RDC) for Mobile Applications
  rudinsj at fel.cvut.cz
  http://www.linkedin.com/in/rudinsky