[Pdns-users] Resolving external cname's

Sten Spans sten at blinkenlights.nl
Fri Jul 3 17:42:46 UTC 2009

On Fri, 3 Jul 2009, Alexandre NEY wrote:

> Hello pdns users :)
>
> I'm sorry to redig this problem but doesn't anyone resolve external CNAME's
> here ?

Yes I do, but with one important caveat.
PowerDNS-server will only rerturn further results for cnames if they
point to domains that it is authoritive for. This makes sense because
resolvers should and will not trust results for which a nameserver is not
qualified. For example:

sten at earth:~$ dig +short @ns0.blinkenlights.nl A irc1.fifo.nl
bastard.snore.nl.
213.136.8.164
sten at earth:~$ dig +short @ns0.blinkenlights.nl A irc2.fifo.nl
irc.insecure.nl.

Because ns0.blinkenlights.nl is not authoritive for insecure.nl
it will not return an A record for irc.insecure.nl.

> I'd really like to use pdns instead of bloatted bind but not being able to
> resolve external cname's is a real show stopper for us.

In what way ?

--
Sten Spans

"There is a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in."
Leonard Cohen - Anthem